Thursday, August 6, 2009

Making Sacrifices


I believe that the ultimate way that we show our love for each other is through the sacrifices we make for each other. Just as Jesus did for us when he died on the Cross for us.

We all have been taught from childhood the meaning of love and what it takes to make a family work and the sacrifices that we have to make so things work out for everyone. This will determine how strong the family is and how well we each understand each other. Love is sacrifice and we see this all around us in how people give of themselves for the people they love.

My life is the direct result of sacrifices that I have had made. The last four months has had significant impact on my family and has required me to retire at 46 years old for medical reason. With my medical condition my families life will change significantly over the next months and years. This will require us to move out of the comfort zone (home) that we live in to accommodate my health condition. This will require my wife and children to give up certain things that they enjoy for me.

I see how my wife sacrifices everyday with continuing to work and wanting to be home with me to and make every moment count. We have difficult decisions to make in the future but we have God in our life that will see us through the tough times. My wife (Debbie) is one of the most sacrificing ladies I have ever seen and I am so privileged to be married to her. My step-daughter (Allie) who is 16 years is always willing to sacrifice for the better of the family. This is because both of them have the Love of Jesus Christ in their heart.

If we look around us, we see people every day sacrificing their time and money in the service of others and many times, for people who they do not even know. These are the ultimate acts of love. The missionary who goes to a far off country to help build a school. The neighbor who volunteers for Big Brothers to help a child and his mother . The co-worker who takes reduced working hours or pay to save the job of another person so their family will not suffer through these difficult times.

As society judges the success of people, often times, success is measured by material accomplishments. If we spent as much time glorifying the success of people who sacrifice of themselves in the service of others, think how different the world would be. Think about the sacrifice that Jesus made for us. The sacrifices that make for each other can not compare!

To my wife and daughter – I thank you and love you with all my heart and recognize all the sacrifices you are making for me. You will be blessed! Just remember it always happens at the Cross. The burdens of heart will disappear by the way we openly carry our faith for Christ.

1 John 4:8-10 (New King James Version)

8 He who does not love does not know God, for God is love. 9 In this the love of God was manifested toward us, that God has sent His only begotten Son into the world, that we might live through Him. 10 In this is love, not that we loved God, but that He loved us and sent His Son to be the propitiation for our sins.

No comments: