Monday, November 5, 2012

Death - A Difficult Subject -

Thought for Today:  Death - A Difficult Subject -

Recently my wife reconnected with a friend from High School.  She told me stories about how he used to pick on her in school, but he was still a friend.  Recently he was diagnosed with cancer and unfortunity lost his battle at 5:30am this morning.  Although this is extremely sad and difficult for his family, I offer God's word on death.

In the Bible, death refers to both a physical and spiritual demise, for unrepented sin kills souls as surely as it destroys bodies.  God delivers those who believe in Him from both physical and spiritual distruction.

Before this young man died this morning I became a facebook friend with him.  I looked forward everyday to see how he was doing and handling the chemo treatments.  Even though they were tough on him, he accepted it not just for him, but for one more day with his family.  You see he understood the significance of this disease and accepted the treatment, and prayed for a great outcome.  Ultimately, he received the Glory of God's Grace.  Although it will be difficult for his family, he is without pain.  I believe that he is walking with the Lord today.

Romans 6:9-11 - We know that death no longer has any power over Christ.  He died and was raised to life, never again to die.  When Christ died, he died for sin once and for all.  But now he is alive, and he lives only for God.  In the same way, you must think of yourselves as dead to the power of sin.  But Christ Jesus has given life to you, and you live for God.

Until our master summons us, not a hair on head can perish, not a moment of our life be snatched from us.  When He sends for us, it should seem but the message that the child is wanted at home.
-Anthony Thorold-

As a look through passages in the Bible I am brought to 2 Samuel 22:4-7 - "I called to the Lord, who is worthy of praise, and have been saved from my enemies.  The waves of death swirled about me; the torrents of destruction overwhelmed me.  The cords of the grave coiled around me; the snares of death confronted me.  In my distress I called to the Lord; I called out to my God.  From His temple He heard my voice; my cry came to His ears."

I look at disease as the enemy.  When the enemy comes so hard the only way we will defeat it, is through a physical death.  When we are one with God, the spiritual death will not occur.  Disease can not touch the Spirit, no matter how terrible it is.

William Penn once wrote; "They that love beyond the world cannot be separated by it. Death cannot kill what never dies."

"He will swallow up death in victory; and the Lord God will wipe away tears from off all faces; and the rebuke of his people shall he take away form off all the earth: for the Lord hath spoken it." Isaiah 25:8

 

No comments: