Monday, August 3, 2009

Picking up the Cross on Tough Days


I don't remember to much about yesterday at all. It appears that I had one of my episodes where the brain disease had a hold on me. Last night when I came around it occurred to me that I have to give up a lot to walk this walk. That means give up things that I like, for example a TV show. It also meant, that I need stand firm on what I dislike within my life and other people. Someone from my family sent a very offensive joke to me last night. I sent a message back to him and ask him to not do that anymore. This was not received well by my family member. He went on to test me by asking me "if I thought he was Godless." First off it is not my place or any ones place to judge, this is left up to God. God spoke to me and said for the tough days and carrying the Cross remember that nothing in life is going to be easy. Pick up the Cross and Follow Me...

Matthew 16:24 (New King James Version)
Take Up the Cross and Follow Him

24 Then Jesus said to His disciples, “If anyone desires to come after Me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross, and follow Me.

To me the verse means that we are to boldly identify ourselves as Christians to the world. By taking up our cross we are shouting to the World that we belong to him and are not ashamed. We are not without problem or ridicule, but we are in fact proud to be associated with the living God.

Paul perhaps says it most eloquently in: Galatians 2:20 (New King James Version)

20 I have been crucified with Christ; it is no longer I who live, but Christ lives in me; and the life which I now live in the flesh I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave Himself for me.

Are we willing to give up the "self" and all its rights, if need be? Can we dare say with Paul, "I no longer live, but Christ lives in me"? This is our goal if we can truly pick up the Cross and follow Him.


Matthew 24:13 (New King James Version)

13 But he who endures to the end shall be saved.

Dear Lord, I pray today that I can firmly pick up the Cross and carry it to glorify Your name. Give me the strength to put things down in my life that cause me to fail at carrying the cross as You would have me. Give my family the strength and courage to face every day and know that You are here watching over us. Lord bless this house and my West Acres Baptist Church Family. Lord continue to work through Pastor Larry and give him the words needed to bring more people to know Your Love. In Christ name I pray. Amen

2 comments:

John H said...

1Cor 1:18 For the message of the cross is foolishness to those who are perishing, but to us who are being saved it is the power of God.

If only we could make them all see....

Anonymous said...

being an example of the Lord and standing up for what you believe is sometimes harder than you think BUT its worth it in the end. ash